Ease of Application
- Can be in direct sunlight and the heat of the day no matter how hot it is without the risk of drying too quickly or leaving sticky puddles and shiners.
- No wiping – soaking in period is 24 hours
- Can be exposure to rain only 60 minutes after absorption into wood*
- No stripping or sanding required on maintenance coats
- One coat coverage. A second coat can be applied “wet-on-wet” or “wet-on-dry” to softwoods for extra protection only if the first coat soaked into the wood within 60 minutes. Do not apply a second coat of Semi-Solids except on siding.
- Blending all containers before applying is not required
- Stain can be applied to wood with a higher moisture content – up to 20%; 15% is recommended for cedar shingles and redwoood to help prevent tannin bleed
- Freezing after absorption will not affect newly applied stain
- Walk on stain during application without worries that footprints will remain.
*Ability to withstand rain 60 minutes after absorption (not application) applies to normal rain conditions; if heavy down pours are expected it is recommended that you let the storm pass and then let the wood dry for two days (or until moisture content is down to 20% or less). Additionally note that exotic hardwoods take much longer to absorb stain than softwoods. These woods can sometimes take 8 – 24 hours to fully absorb an applied stain.
- Color/ appearance lasts several years*
- Provides non-drying oils to condition wood
- No peeling or cracking of stain
- Stain in unopened cans has an indefinite shelf life**
*Pigment is the sacrificial raw ingredient that absorbs UV rays. Transparent stains have lower amounts of pigment and therefore a reduced ability to prevent premature graying of wood. Natural Tone has the least amount of pigment and can only delay the onset of the graying process. For these reasons semi-transparent, and not transparent stains, are recommended for higher elevations.**Periodically check cans for leaks. Although the stain may last a very long time the storage environment may provide conditions that lead to pin holes and stain leaking out of the can.Ease of Reapplication
- No stripping required (or at the very least a light and easy stripping)
- One coat coverage on maintenance coats
Final Appearance and Color
- All colors are intermixable to create custom colors.
- No worries about color mistints or color mismatches
- Natural looking, not pastel looking, colors allow the wood grain and or texture of the wood to be seen
Actual Wood Protection
- Allows wood to breathe
- Includes non-drying oils to condition and rejuvenate wood
- Provides water repellency and protection from mother nature
- Includes mildewcide to combat molds and mildew
- Includes UV inhibitors (Natural tone only as enough pigment to slow down but not prevent premature graying)*
*Pigment is the sacrificial raw ingredient that absorbs UV rays. Transparent stains have lower amounts of pigment and therefore a reduced ability to prevent premature graying of wood. Natural Tone has the least amount of pigment and can only delay the onset of the graying process. For these reasons semi-transparent, and not transparent stains, are recommended for higher elevations.
Leave a Reply